The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) ruled that the word WINEBUD cannot be registered as a trademark for wine.
The decision followed five years of trademark litigation.
Innvopak Systems Pty. Ltd. applied for the Winebud mark in 2009 for “alcoholic beverages except beers.”
Anheuser-Busch, LLC, which makes Budweiser beer, opposed the registration on the grounds of likelihood of consumer confusion and dilution. Anheuser-Busch owns the trademark “Bud” for beer, as well as several Bud-related marks.
Innvopak submitted several items of evidence to suggest consumers would not be confused by the Winebud mark, including:
- Article from Wine Business Monthly, submitted to “establish that the term ‘vine bud’ is a recognized term in the field of viticulture.”
- Definition from an online dictionary, submitted to “show that the term ‘wine’ is a common noun of Old English derivation.”
- Definition from an online dictionary, submitted to “show that the term ‘bud’ is a common noun of Old English derivation.”
- Definition from an online dictionary submitted to “show that the term ‘Budweiser’ is the name of a style of lager beer, similar to pilsner, from the city of České Budějovice in Bohemia (Czech Republic), derived from the German name for the town, Budweis.”
- Name and address listings of seven individuals with the surname “Budweiser” from 411.com, submitted to “establish that the term ‘Budweiser’ is a surname.”
The TTAB found that although Anheuser-Busch “has never sold wine under its ‘Bud’ mark, the fame of that mark makes it likely that purchasers seeing a similar ‘Bud’ mark on wine would think that [the company] has expanded its product line to include wine.”
The case is Anheuser-Busch, LLC v. Innvopak Systems Pty Ltd.
As this case demonstrates, trying to claim a trademark similar to that of a famous brand is likely to be an expensive, long-drawn-out, and eventually futile endeavor.
Leech Tishman’s Intellectual Property Group is based in Pasadena, California with a team of highly-regarded legal professionals with prosecution and litigation expertise in the fields of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets.
Please also visit us online for more information about our services.
Photo Attribution: “Budweis Landwehr Kas” by Unknown – alte Postkarte. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.