When an organization is confronted with a complaint or allegation of wrongdoing, the organization is well served to respond quickly and thoughtfully by ensuring that they have they have a full understanding of the facts in order to respond accordingly. Leech Tishman brings a unique understanding of the prosecution and enforcement function, gained through service as prosecutors, and the ability to conduct a thorough internal investigation.
Internal investigations have become essential to an organization when responding to government or regulatory investigations, accusations of sexual harassment, claims of employee theft, and criminal acts. Corporations are under intense scrutiny by governmental agencies and private plaintiffs. No matter the size or structure of an organization, even seemingly minor complaints should be addressed properly, through an internal investigation, to protect the organization from potential future civil litigation, government action, reputational harm, loss of clients, or loss of business partnerships.
An internal investigation allows an organization to respond appropriately based on an established set of facts garnered by a disinterested party and protected by attorney – client privilege. In doing so, an organization can reassure clients, employees, shareholders, and business partners that the matter is addressed before bad media or unfounded rumors can circulate.
An internal investigation conducted by an outside law firm, under the protection of attorney – client privilege will:
- Provide an unbiased report of all the facts so that that management can make a fully informed decision of how to proceed;
- Put a stop to the wrongful conduct;
- Provide a basis from which an organization can take remedial action;
- Fulfill the disclosure requirements of auditors or government agencies necessary for cooperation;
- Protect the board, management, or other leadership from accusations of complicity;
- Promotes an image and culture of transparency both within the organization and to those with whom the organization does business.