Leech Tishman has a depth of experience representing nonprofit organizations, economic development programs, community groups and foundations, and grant-making organizations in a variety of legal issues, including tax, exemption and compliance, and legal counsel matters. Below are representative legal matters involving management of religious, educational, charitable, and nonprofit trusts and foundations.
NONPROFIT COMPLIANCE AND MANAGEMENT
- Grant management for large private foundation.
- Individuals and families in the formation of memorial scholarship foundations.
- Charitable organization regarding advice and counseling pertaining to compliance issues for 50/50 raffles and sweepstakes.
- Compliance with regard to operating business interests held by large private foundation for UBTI purposes.
- Review of a consulting agreement between a university hospital foundation trust with a global medical technology company.
- Nonprofit hearing and speech clinic regarding corporate and energy advice with respect to oil/gas holdings.
- Charitable contributions, succession planning, and tax exemptions for businesses.
- Leadership development fraternity regarding nonprofit tax advice.
- Public library fund in Monroeville, PA regarding nonprofit counseling and advice.
- 501(c)(3) foundation that supports educational opportunities for at-risk youth regarding employment matters and drafting an employment agreement for their part-time executive director.
- Workforce investment board regarding business advice and counseling, including contract review.
- Not-for-profit, full-spectrum senior care facility in Zelienople, PA regarding the workout of a non-monetary default situation with lender under a multi-million credit facility.
- Acquisition of numerous residential units for nonprofit housing agency engaged in housing of mentally ill.
- Lender representation in loan modification for rehabilitation of low-income housing project.
- Acquisition of commercial property for nonprofit offices.
- Borrower representation in multi-million machinery and equipment loan from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
- Borrower representation in various government funding programs including loan transactions through the Machinery and Equipment Loan Fund, Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority, Business in our Sites Program, Water Supply and Waste Water Infrastructure Program, and Building PA program.
entity formation & dissolution
- Organization that supports Pittsburgh youth by providing education, Spanish-English programs, and humanitarian services regarding 501(c)(3) qualification.
- Organization musical tribute concert supporting America’s Military Veterans and their families regarding the incorporation of a nonprofit.
- Foundation division to accommodate diverging charitable goals.
- Aircraft membership and flight instruction facility nonprofit organization.
- Educational institution regarding the formation of a nonprofit corporation.
- Animal rescue organization in the incorporation and ongoing operation of a nonprofit.
- Community development corporation focused on housing rehabilitation, workforce development and small business assistance regarding the dissolution of nonprofit in East Pittsburgh, PA.
- Foundation in Allegheny County, PA regarding termination.
- Dissolution of nonprofit retirement housing, assisted living, and home care organization based in Allegheny County, PA, including a theater venue nonprofit.
- Marketing and talent management company regarding the formation of a private foundation.
- Religious nonprofit that provides youth ministry and outreach regarding real estate matters, including lease assignments and amendments.
- Individual regarding assistance with international charitable donation of property in Kalimpong, India.
- Youth football and cheer organization in Allegheny County, PA regarding attainment of tax exempt status.
- Private operating foundation land management.
- Charitable foundation that supports foster youth through community resources and innovative programming regarding intellectual property matters, including service mark applications.
- Acute-care hospital in Westmoreland County, PA regarding trademark applications for a charitable foundation logo.
- Charitable, nonprofit organization that supports mothers following childbirth by providing information and resources regarding intellectual property counseling, including the negotiation of a Means of Implementation with an organization supporting women’s recovery from additions and related emotional health issues in Wilkinsburg, PA.
- Nonprofit organization that provides resources and support to families with seriously ill or injured children regarding intellectual property matters, including trademark applications and service mark applications.
- Naming rights agreements for donors and donees.