Ethical Considerations when Negotiating Plea Agreements
September 13 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
About the Webinar
Ethics in plea negotiations require a balance of a lawyer’s responsibility to advocate zealously with obligations of honesty and candor. Similarly, the ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility has recently weighed in on a prosecutor’s obligations under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct to balance ethical obligations towards the accused with the pursuit of justice. This program will examine the ethical responsibilities of defense attorneys and prosecutors when negotiating plea agreements under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct including:
- Model Rule 1.1 concerning competent representation;
- Model Rule 1.3 requiring diligence representation;
- Model Rule 3.8 relating to the special responsibilities of a prosecutor;
- Model Rule 4.1 requiring truthfulness in statements to others;
- Mode Rule 4.3 dealing with interaction with unrepresented persons; and
- Model Rule 8.4 related to maintaining the integrity of the profession.
To learn more or to register, please click here.
To obtain a copy of the audio tape, please click here.
- September 13
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Live Webinar
- West LegalEdcenter