Leech Tishman Partner Sally Cimini to Present Seminar on Labor Contracts
March 27 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Leech Tishman Alternative Dispute Resolution Partner and Chair Sally Griffith Cimini will present a live seminar for the Allegheny County Bar Association entitled, “Life of a Labor Contract: After Collective Bargaining Agreement is Signed.” Also speaking at the event are: Ernest Orsatti, of Rothman Gordon, PC, Joann Menzer and Marc Winters of Heritage Valley Health System and Jared Simmar of The Private Adjudication Center.
When it comes to labor contracts, an attorney’s work isn’t done when the collective bargaining agreement is signed. This program will explore those aspects of a labor contract that are most relevant after the agreement is in place.
- Administering the contract, interpreting the contract, discipline issues and enforcing the contract.
- Administering the contract: This portion of the program will focus on such topics as zipper clauses, management rights, union structure (role of shop stewards, etc.), labor-management committees and more.
- Interpreting the contract: After a contract is in place, disputes are sure to arise. The panel will cover past practice, plain language rules, unfair labor practices arising out of contract administration, work rules and policies and more.
- Discipline: During this segment of the program, the panel will cover investigations, seniority dynamics, bargaining unit work, last chance agreements, the duty of fair representation, the grievance process (stages, players, arbitration clause) and more.
- Enforcing the contract: This segment of the program will focus on the arbitration process, trilogy cases, binding v. non-binding arbitration (fact-finding), The National Arbitration Act / The Uniform Arbitration Act, and arbitration clauses. Panelists will cover grievance (rights) arbitration v. interest (contract interpretation) arbitration, arbitrator selection, reasons for arbitrator disqualification, the duty to disclose conflicts, the arbitrator’s authority and more. Arbitrability, preparing for the hearing and the arbitration hearing process and outcomes also will be discussed.
This is the third in a three-part series. Part one, “Pre-Negotiation and Background” will be held on Feb. 21. Part two, “Negotiating the Contract” will be held on March 13.
*Lunch will be served.
*2 hours of Substantive CLE credit.
For more information, visit: https://www.acba.org/CLE-Events/Event-Info/sessionaltcd/CLE200327_LABOR
- March 27
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Allegheny County Bar Association