On May 27, 2021, Leech Tishman hosted a one-hour webinar on deferred compensation and creative tax planning strategies for employers to minimize tax consequences for your executive staff. Philip A. Toomey, Leech Tishman’s National Employment & Labor Chair, moderated this webinar featuring Bruce J. McNeil, a nationally renowned expert in the field of employee benefits and Partner at Leech Tishman; Eric J. Wu, Partner in the Employment & Labor Practice Group; and Luis A. Silva, Associate in the firm’s Tax Group.
You can view the full webinar recording below.
About the Webinar
Under the new Biden administration, employers are anticipating a number of tax increases and other changes to the executive benefits landscape. Many employers are exploring creative tax planning strategies to minimize tax consequences for their executives.
During the webinar, Bruce, Eric, and Luis discussed the following:
An Overview of Executive Compensation Plans (Bruce J. McNeil)
- Section 401(k) plans
- Defined benefit pension plans
- Nonqualified deferred compensation plans
- Proposed tax rate increases
- Equity arrangements
Important Tax Considerations (Luis A. Silva)
- Capital gains
- Tax rates vs. ordinary income and capital gains
- Stock options vs. restricted stock vs. profits interests
- Types of plans and benefits/impact on employers
- Taxation of stock options
- Eligible elections (83b) and what they mean
Employment Law Advice & Counsel (Eric J. Wu)
- Recent employment legislation & updates
- Hot topics related to the COVID-19 pandemic