Seed-to-Sale Tracking, Personally Identifiable Information, Text-Message Marketing, and More
On December 13, 2022, Leech Tishman attorney James K. Paulick (Leader, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Group) hosted an informational webinar about cybersecurity and data privacy issues affecting the cannabis industry.
You can download a copy of the PowerPoint slides here.
Watch the video below:
Make no mistake – the risk is real. The cannabis-industry is built on technology and data. As such, cannabis-related businesses need to understand the legal landscape, how to protect themselves, and how to respond if and when a cyber event occurs.
The webinar explored some of the many cyber-related risks facing this industry, and provided an overview of potential mitigation strategies and “best practices.” Some of the topics Mike and Jim examined include:
- Identifying cybersecurity and data privacy risks
- State data privacy laws
- State breach notification laws
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”) and text-message marketing
- Chatbots and litigation risks
- Internal information security and privacy policies
- Multifactor Authorization
- Cyber insurance and other risk-transfer considerations