Fred Leech is a Partner with Leech Tishman’s Corporate Practice Group, and is also a member of the LaunchPad legal group. Fred focuses on providing legal advisory services to business clients on acquisition transactions, securities matters and financings.
Fred has served as lead or co-lead legal counsel on a number of significant acquisition and capital markets transactions, including:
- Stock sale of a leading provider of software designed to generate dynamic reporting from enterprise resource planning platforms.
- Representation of a national real estate private equity company in connection with the acquisition of multi-family assets in select U.S. markets utilizing general solicitation private placement exemptions authorized under Rule 506(c) of Regulation D.
- Representation of Mellon Financial Corporation in the combination with The Bank of New York Corporation to form The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation.
- Sale by Mellon Financial Corporation of its retail bank to Citizens Financial.
- Acquisition by Northill Capital (London) of a majority equity interest in Riverbridge Partners (US-based investment adviser).
Fred also regularly represents SEC and state registered investment advisers in regulatory, compliance and acquisition matters.
Fred is an active firm leader. He currently is Chair of Leech Tishman’s Corporate Practice Group and has served on the firm’s Management Committee. Prior to joining Leech Tishman, Fred was Partner with Reed Smith, and served for 15 years as Practice Leader of Reed Smith’s Financial Services and Investment Management Practice Groups.
J.D., Northeastern University School of Law
B.A., with high honors, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Michigan
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating (1995-2019)
Best Lawyers Pittsburgh: Banking and Finance Law (2015-2020)
The Best Lawyers in America: Banking and Finance Law (2015-2020)
Fox Chapel Borough (Board Member)
Fox Chapel Area School District (Board Member)
Salvation Army of Western Pennsylvania (Board Member)
CLO of Pittsburgh (Board Member)
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (Board Member)
“SEC Proposing Releases – Enhancing Investment Adviser Regulation and Regulation Best Interest: SEC Seeks Harmonization of Duties Within Existing Business Models,” May, 2018
“Adoption of the Pennsylvania Uniform Limited Liability Company Act”
- “Duties of and Relationships Among Members,” April, 2017
- “Governance and Economic Rights of Members,” May, 2017
- “Actions by Members,” May, 2017
Speeches & Presentations
“What’s The Big Deal?—Significant Financing Events, Acquisitions, and Strategic Partnerships,” Pittsburgh Enterprise Forum – Pittsburgh, November 15, 2017.
“Fifty Shades of Green- Capital Formation Opportunities under the JOBS Act,” MIT Enterprise Forum-Pittsburgh (2016, Pittsburgh, PA)
“Personal Securities Trading, Ethics and Compliance,” The Knowledge Group (2016, Pittsburgh, PA)
“The JOBS Act and Rule 506(c)- Opportunities and Challenges,” Leech Tishman Continuing Education (2016, Pittsburgh, PA)
“Acquisition of an Investment Adviser- Definitive Documentation and Due Diligence Considerations,” Reed Smith University (2014, Pittsburgh, PA)
“Regulation of Municipal Advisers,” Reed Smith University (2014, Pittsburgh, PA)
“Regulation of U.S. Investment Advisers; Applicable Exemptions and Exceptions,” Reed Smith University (2014, Pittsburgh, PA)
“The Impact of Dodd-Frank on the Investment Advisor Community,” Reed Smith University (2011, Pittsburgh, PA)
“Dodd-Frank- What Happened and What’s Next,” Reed Smith Dodd-Frank Teleseminar Series (2011, Teleseminar)
“Overview of Bank Exemptions from Broker Registration and Regulation R,” Reed Smith University (2008, Pittsburgh, PA)