Ryan D. DeMotte is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Construction Practice Groups. Ryan is based in Leech Tishman’s Pittsburgh office.
Ryan is a commercial litigation and business attorney, representing clients in a broad range of commercial disputes and providing strategic legal advice on general business and contract issues. Ryan represents clients ranging from individuals and small businesses to multinational corporations.
Ryan has served as lead counsel in state and federal court as well as commercial arbitrations on a variety of legal issues.
During the course of his career, he has represented clients in connection with large commercial, industrial, and infrastructure projects throughout the U.S. and internationally. Prior to joining Leech Tishman, Ryan practiced at a mid-sized law firm and spent over 10 years at a large international law firm.
Some of Ryan’s representative experience includes the following:
Commercial litigation/arbitration experience:
- Corporate counsel for international commercial contractor, handling litigation, contract negotiation, and general business matters related to complex commercial construction projects
- Lead counsel for general commercial contractor, representing firm in litigation and providing general contract and business advice
- Lead arbitration counsel for general commercial contractor concerning contract dispute over construction of medical facility
- Trial counsel for an electrical contractor in a lawsuit involving breach-of-contract and Pennsylvania Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act claims concerning the renovation of a country club and restaurant. The case was tried to a jury verdict in favor of the contractor in the Court of Common Pleas of Beaver County.
- Lead arbitration counsel for an owner in an American Arbitration Association hearing concerning defective electrical products in the construction of a large metals recycling plant.
- Lead counsel for an industrial heating vendor in a $2 million contract and mechanic’s lien dispute related to construction of a solar power plant.
- Counsel to an international EPC consortium in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a $515 million power and desalination plant project in the Middle East.
- Counsel for an owner in a contract dispute concerning a defective engineering design in the construction of a $400 million metals recycling plant.
- Counsel to a US-based civil contractor in connection with claims against a highway authority relating to the construction of new $250 million toll road.
- Lead trial counsel for a fitness center in a commercial lease dispute with a landlord. After an evidentiary hearing, the trial court denied the landlord’s petition for a preliminary injunction to eject the fitness center. The Pennsylvania Superior Court upheld the trial court’s ruling on appeal.
- Counsel to an international EPC contractor in connection with claims related to the construction of a large petrochemical project in the Middle East.
- Counsel to an EPC consortium in connection with claims related to the construction of an industrial chemical plant in India.
- Counsel to a Caribbean food processor in negotiations with a manufacturer over defective engines installed in a processing facility.
- Counsel for financial services company in a federal lawsuit concerning ERISA, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities laws.
- Counsel for logistics and transportation company in litigation to enforce non-compete agreements against former executives.
- Lead counsel for local parks management group in commercial lease and construction litigation.
General business/contract experience:
- Lead counsel for accounting and finance software firm, coordinating team of lawyers to provide advice on a range of issues, including intellectual property, employment, and contract negotiation
- Lead counsel for facilities management firm, providing advice concerning real estate and general business matters
- Counsel to a residential real estate developer for drafting and negotiation of construction contracts and related services contracts in connection with the construction of a $30 million apartment complex.
- Counsel to a healthcare services company in the negotiation of construction contracts and leases related to the development of new laboratory space.
- Counsel to a local sculptor in contract negotiations with government authorities over the placement of a large public art project.
- Counsel for multinational corporation in numerous liquidation proceedings with international solvent and insolvent insurers concerning coverage for toxic tort losses.
- Counsel for metals company in an adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court concerning UCC and breach-of-contract claims.
- Lead trial counsel for a Pennsylvania prisoner in a Sec. 1983 federal civil rights case.
J.D., magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
B.A. in Economics, magna cum laude, Grove City College
The Judge Advocate General’s School, U.S. Army
U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
Cafardi Ferguson Wyrick Weis + Stotler LLC
K&L Gates LLP
U.S. Army Reserve
Under Construction (A publication of the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law)
Antitrust Healthcare Chronicle
University of Pittsburgh Law Review
Array ( [post_type] => Array (  => tribe_events ) [posts_per_page] => 12 [meta_key] => _EventStartDate [orderby] => _EventStartDate [order] => ASC [eventDisplay] => custom [meta_query] => Array ( [relation] => AND  => Array ( [key] => team_members [value] => "21402" [compare] => LIKE )  => Array ( [key] => _EventStartDate [value] => 2019-06-19 [compare] => >= ) ) )