Ted Tishman is a Partner with Leech Tishman and Vice Chair of the Estates & Trusts Practice Group. Ted is based in the Lakewood Ranch and the Pittsburgh offices, where he applies his cross-disciplinary experience to business, and estates and trusts matters.
Ted is one of the firm’s original founders and a former Management Committee member.
For over 40 years, Ted has specialized in advising high net worth individuals, families and business owners regarding intergenerational wealth transfers, business succession planning matters, and all facets of trust administration and reformation. Ted has a wealth of experience in sophisticated estate planning issues, including the preparation of simple and complex wills, healthcare durable powers of attorney/living wills and durable powers of attorney, trust planning and administration, charitable gift planning, estate litigation and assisting fiduciaries with the administration of complex trusts and estates.
Ted regularly advises clients on business success planning matters, including the development of limited liability companies, leveraging exemptions and valuation discounting. He is highly skilled in seamlessly integrating advice from financial advisors, CPAs, and others involved in the estate planning process.
Some of Ted’s recent representative matters include:
- Representation of the surviving spouse as the Executor of the $14 million estate of a deceased real estate executive, where he negotiated an $8 million buy-out of the Estate’s interests in a real estate development company and oversaw the administration and transfer of 20 general and limited partnership interests
- Representation of the surviving spouse as the Executor of the $40 million estate of a deceased real estate developer, where he coordinated the transfer to surviving spouse of interests in five companies and multiple other assets; spouse then sold interests in three of the companies to newly-formed intentionally defective grantor trusts
- Representation of the surviving spouse as the Executor of the $15 million estate of a deceased real estate developer, where he coordinated the valuation of 40 limited and general partnership interests and negotiated the buy-out and transfers to the surviving business partner
- Representation of a trust beneficiary in a dispute with trustee where the trust asset was a commercial shopping center
- Representation of the Executor in a $65 million taxable estate with 45 different LLC and partnership interests
Ted is a regular speaker on federal estate and gift taxes and estate planning issues and has presented to various civil organizations and continuing professional education groups.
J.D., Duquesne University School of Law
B.A. in Finance, Duquesne University
U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Tax Court
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated Attorney
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Magazine (2007-2011)